Monday 5 May 2008

A great day of Heads Up - A break from the story

Well I was gonna wait until I had told my background story before I started posting about my current poker life. But i've had a great day so why not.

I currently play 5 max and Heads Up (HU) cash on OnGame (I have a few different skins). My current stakes are $50NL. I used to play $200NL 5 max (but that's another story i'll leave till later in the week.

I just started playing HU about a month ago. I don't know why but I am really struggling at 5 max these days. Today I played more hands of 5 max than HU and i managed to lose at 5 max and run the games over HU. Go figure!

I guess naturally i'm a loose LAG player who likes to make moves and put you in tough spots. This works great live where you have all the tells in the world but sucks at 5/6 max and full ring where people are 4-8 tabling and aren't really playing that much attention unless they have the nuts. Maybe i'm just thinking at too high a level (the best level to think at is 1 above your opponent, any more than that and you could out think yourself and play -ev) or maybe I just can't play a TAG game. Anyway, the point i'm trying to make is that HU really does suit my game. It suits my game very well indeed. I can bluff, semi bluff, thin value bet and make moves to my hearts content. It just really saps the life out of me and i can't play long sessions. Maybe 2 games at one and about 4 games on the trot and I need a rest. Which isn't great for the rakeback/bonus.

So on to my stats and a few key hands. I obviously ran like a god when i was behind, held up when in front and outplayed my opponents a whole lot. But I guess every donk has their day. :)

Heads Up


5 Max (I suck!)


Hands: -

This first hand kinda demonstrates giving your opponent some rope. I'd been running the guy over and I guess he got sick of me and decided his TP bad kicker was good. If I bet the river I am giving him chance to get away. I guess he could have a Q some of the times but its only a small piece of his range. I was always calling. I just wanted him to get as much money in as he could. If he bets small I obviously over shove and he can't really fold anything.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2568390

This next opponent i'm gonna show 3 hands which demonstrate setting a tone with your opponent. The first hand I lose. But as you see I don't give it up easily. This sets the tone for the match. he knows he has to apply lots of pressure to get me to fold. This mindset i put him in makes him think if he applies a lot of pressure he can get me to fold. I was also 3 betting him a ton and I guess he thought i was doing this pretty light. To be fair on occasion I was. But this also gave him the perception he needed to stamp on me for doing so. He started 4 betting me a lot, this got some folds and I cold called one just to let him know i was on to him and I also 5 bet shoved on him.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2568405

The second hand was only a couple of hands after the 77 hand. He overvalued TT, although to his credit TT is a monstor HU to someone who is 3 betting you light. If they are in fact always 3 betting you light. Its all about perception I guess and I managed to skew his into thinking "I was at it".

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2568421

The last hand of the match out of context looks like the guy is on super tilt. In context I had got pretty aggressive with him, 3 betting a lot, 5 bet shoving his light 4 bets and i guess he needed to make a stand. Although he would have probably been a bit wiser to just tighten up and stop raising so much. But i'm glad he made the adjustments he did as they just drove him further into the big bear trap I laid for him.

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2568430

Incidentally the $25NL I played Ryan (a friend of wota's) HU. He's a full ring player and I guess he ain't played much HU. I just want to post the final hand so that I can say "You got owned Ryan!" :)

I guess his mistakes were firstly making his 3 bet waaaaaaaaaaay too small and then calling very loosely a 4 bet shove. But I guess he was just thinking "Shalesey is a massive LAG donk, he could be shoving with any 2 here"

http://www.pokerhand.org/?2568455



Well GG and GN all. :)

No comments: